Is the UK ready for the Energy Transition?

Is the UK ready for the Energy Transition?

A recently released report from Global Market Insights has projected that the PSH market will hit $400 Billion by 2026. Recent CO2 commitments from major governments across the world plus the electrification of heat and transport will create further growth in sustainable technologies such as wind and Solar. This by its very nature will increase …

Read More Read More

Keeping the Lights on: The Renewable Energy Dilemma

Keeping the Lights on: The Renewable Energy Dilemma

As the UK continues on its inexorable path to a carbon free energy world, the questions around how this is achieved and the paths that should be taken become ever more pertinent. With the continued closure of large, dirty coal plant, coupled with the drive towards the electrification of transport and heat, the UK’s peak …

Read More Read More

First for Renewables Overshadowed by Net-zero Progress

First for Renewables Overshadowed by Net-zero Progress

The UK’s combined renewables generation from solar, wind, hydro and biomass generated more electricity than fossil fuel power stations for the first time ever during the 3rd quarter of this year. This was the first time since electricity generation started in 1882 that renewables out generated fossil fuels and is another milestone on the way …

Read More Read More

#World Environment Day

#World Environment Day

Yesterday was world environment day, established in 1972 by the United Nations Assembly with the purpose of raising awareness of environmental issues across the board, from global warming and marine pollution to over population. The first World Environment day happened in 1974, themed ‘Only on earth’. World Environment Day is seen as platform for action …

Read More Read More

Coal-Free Generation Week

Coal-Free Generation Week

National Grid announced earlier this month that the UK had its first coal free electricity week in a 100yrs. This is in line with the Government plans to phase out coal entirely by 2025 and marks the first week since the UK’s first coal-fired power station opened the Holborn Viaduct Power Station in 1882. This …

Read More Read More

Climate Emergency

Climate Emergency

Last night UK MP’s approved a motion to declare an ‘environment and climate emergency’, this was on the back of the Welsh assembly and the SNP also declaring a ‘climate emergency’ earlier in the week with the SNP also pledging today that Scotland will have a target of net-zero emissions by 2045. A report commissioned …

Read More Read More

National Grid “System Stability”

National Grid “System Stability”

Last week, National Grid System Operator released their “System Operator Innovation Strategy” for 2019/20.  This listed their top 10 priorities for 2019/20, with system stability now at the top.  This move in priorities from National Grid has been motivated by a need to enable more non-synchronous generation i.e. renewable energy –  primarily wind and solar …

Read More Read More

Energy Network Balancing

Energy Network Balancing

Last Monday saw wholesale energy prices dip to negative levels for more than six hours meaning suppliers where having to pay to produce energy, forcing National Grid to order power plants to turn down production. This event was off the back of unseasonably warm and bright conditions meaning more of the public where outside enjoying …

Read More Read More

What is Pump Storage Hydro?

What is Pump Storage Hydro?

The wind doesn’t always blow, the sun doesn’t always shine. It can’t be relied on to match consumer demand for electricity, meaning other sources of generation are need to be ready as back up i.e. gas, coal or nuclear. Currently renewable generation is switched off when not required (curtailment). This means that potential renewable energy …

Read More Read More

Energy Storage Gap in New Offshore Wind Plans

Energy Storage Gap in New Offshore Wind Plans

On Wednesday the UK Government announced a Sector deal with the offshore wind industry that would see 30% of UK power coming from offshore wind by 2030, increasing capacity from 7.9GW currently to 30 GW. The remaining 70% is planned to come from nuclear and Gas plants with carbon capture but with 5 of the …

Read More Read More

WordPress SEO